As of May 24, the National Council has retired the legacy Internet Advancement tool. All units within Longhouse Council should transition to Scoutbook for advancement reporting no later than June 7, 2019.
Longhouse Council uses 100% online advancement reporting. Moving forward, Scoutbook will be the tool used by units to record and report all advancement.
- To set up Scoutbook for the first time, the unit key three (unit committee chair, unit leader, and chartered organization representative) should go to Scoutbook.com and view the video linked at “Getting your unit started with Scoutbook”.
- Next, they should log in to Scoutbook using the information provided in the Login help link, also located at Scoutbook.com and follow the instructions from the video to set up the unit, additionally adding the unit committee advancement chair as an administrator.
All unit information (including active memberships) will be updated overnight each night from the registration database. If there are Scouts or adults missing from your Scoutbook roster, please contact your district executive or Ellen Tyler, the Council Customer Service Specialist (Ellen.Tyler@scouting.org or 315 463-0201 extension 103), for assistance with their registrations.
Advancement can be added as earned and is then approved by a unit administrator. When you are ready to purchase the awards for presentation, awards will need to be approved first. Then you can go to reports and generate the purchase order and advancement report to present at the Scout Shop for your items. All items approved since the last purchase order that have not yet been awarded will be collected and printed each time a report is generated. After the purchase, the purchase order report will need to be “closed” and the advancement noted as “awarded” once the presentation has been made.
There is a new Scoutbook Knowledge Base where you can find answers to your questions on use of Scoutbook. Additional questions can be directed to our Customer Service Specialist, Ellen Tyler (Ellen.Tyler@scouting.org or 315 463-0201 extension 103), and she will help direct you to the appropriate resources.
Merit Badge Councilor Information
- Council “Merit Badge Group Instruction Event” Policy
- Council “Merit Badge Group Instruction Event” Application Form
- BSA “Merit Badge Group Instruction Guide", No. 512-‐066
- Addenda for special certifications required for Shooting Sports
- Addenda for special certifications required for Aquatics
- Addenda for special certifications required for Climbing merit badge counselors
- Reporting Merit Badge Counseling Concerns, No. 512-‐800
Eagle Scout Information
- Council Eagle Scout Application “Reference Letter Policy”
- Eagle Document Submittal Information
- Eagle Service Project Proposals-‐Fundraising Application Information
- “Eagle Project Coach” memo
- Letter of Recommendation Template Form_R2
Council Advancement Committee “News You Can Use”
The Longhouse Council Advancement Committee will issue memoranda from time to time that it deems may be informative to unit personnel.
Included in this section are the following NYCU memos that have been issued to date:
- Timing of Awards Recognition in Cub Scouts
- Time Extensions & Registration Beyond the Age of Eligibility
- Alternative Rank Requirements & Alternate Eagle-required MB’s
- Eagle Service Projects - Fundraising Application Information
- “Merit Badge Blue Cards” & “Rank Advancement Record Cards”
- BSA NOVA Awards & SuperNOVA Awards
- Eagle Application Reference Letter Policy
- Cyber Chips for Scouts
- Eagle Application Submittal Deadlines
- Advice for Units in recruiting Merit Badge Counselors
- Merit Badge Counselor Training in Longhouse Council
- Merit Badge Counseling Procedure
- Timelines: First Class-to-Eagle
- Eagle Service Projects – No Time Limit
Key Forms that may be found on scouting.org:
- Adult Application, No. 524-‐501A
- Eagle Rank Application, No. 512-‐728
- Eagle Scout Service Project Workbook, No. 512-‐927
- “Guide to Advancement”, No 33088
- Merit Badge Counselor Information form, No. 34405
- STEM SuperNova Awards Mentor Information form, No. 514-‐017
- On-line training videos
- “Advancement News” newsletters
- BSA “Merit Badge Group Instruction Guide” No. 512-066