The Longhouse Council often has staffing and volunteer opportunities available where your talent can be put to great use. Select from the opportunities below, and submit your application and supporting information according to instructions.
SCOUTING…A PROFESSION WITH A PURPOSE – learn more about what a career as a Scouting professional means and the responsibilities involved in helping to prepare youth for life.
As a District Executive you will work directly with volunteers, the community and business leaders to provide Scouting’s character and leadership development programs to all youth. The position offers continual learning and challenging oneself, solid compensation, benefits and advancement. You will work towards goals in program development through collaborative partnership, volunteer recruitment and training, fundraising, membership recruitment and retention. Candidates must have a willingness and ability to devote long and irregular hours to achieve council and district objectives. Review Current District Executive Job Openings
Seasonal Camp Staff
The Longhouse Council operates camping programs at two council-owned camping facilities, and on-site programs in local communities:
- Cub Scout Day & Twilight Camps (Various Locations) - The best that Cub Scouting has to offer, close to home! Cub Scout Day Camp combines the most exciting things about being a Cub Scout with summertime fun. Apply for these volunteer positions and help make a difference in the lives of our Cub Scouts from across our council service area!
- Scouts BSA Day Camp (Camp Woodland) - A unique opportunity for our older Scouts to earn some skilled trades merit badges in a traditional camp setting, our Scouts BSA Day Camp is a five-day program full of traditional merit badge favorites and plenty of exciting and challenging additions! Volunteer now to serve as a merit badge counselor or on staff for this fantastic program!
- Scouts BSA Resident Camp (Sabattis Scout Reservation) Located in the heart of the Adirondack State Park, Sabattis Scout Reservation is the premier patrol-cooking resident camp, with fantastic programs and offerings exclusive to the camp's location along Low's Lake. In addition to the traditional BSA camping program, the Seton Trek Center allows campers to explore even more of the rugged wilderness of the Adirondacks through pre-planned treks through the wild. If the remote wilderness of the Adirondacks calls to you, consider helping to change countless lives on our staff at Sabattis Scout Reservation by applying today!
Additional staffing opportunities for weekend camporees and specialty programs will also be posted here and in PATHWAYS, the Longhouse Council's weekly newsletter.
National Scout Shop
The Boy Scouts of America, Supply Division has opportunities for motivated, Sales Associates in a fast-paced, results-oriented environment.
Job Overview: Contributes to the successful daily operation of the Longhouse Scout Shop by delivering an exceptional customer experience, transacting sales, accurate and on-time submission of timekeeping records, receiving orders, stocking shelves, and maintaining a clean customer friendly environment.
The individual in this position:
- Provides excellent customer service in the store and on the phone.
- Processes customer orders through the POS system.
- Maintains a stocked, organized, and clean store.
- Safeguards BSA monies and merchandise.
- Retail experience preferred but not necessary
- Knowledge of Scouting Program preferred but not necessary
- Good Communication Skills
Please apply for this position by sending your resume and/or a brief work history and contact information to Daniel O'Brien, the Scout Shop Manager.